HERE WE WILL ANSWER SOME OF THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
Where are you located?
- Milaca which is considered a part of Central Minnesota. But we do travel far and wide, with a starting out-of-state fee of $150.
How many images do you take?
- We take an unlimited number of photos, but we do cull down to show you the best from your session or event. We believe in quality over quantity and therefor don't overwhelm you with blinks, test shots, etc. Weddings average 600-900 depending on how many hours we are hired, portrait sessions average 30-50 (usually on the higher end for family photos), and for newborn sessions you will typically see 20-30 images.
Are the digital images included?
- All service packages are customized to what you want. If you want your booking proposal to include printing rights and digital images that is what we will do. For many clients they choose to package the products that they want with their booking proposal and a smaller package of digital images. The following are real examples of client purchases.
- Portrait Service Package Examples:
- Client A Purchased a Multiples Newborn session with extra time, my assistant, a Designer Album and 20 Digital Images with printing rights paying in full. Then after her session Client A decided to add on Framed prints, Canvas clusters and the complete set of Digital Files.
- Meanwhile client B decided to book an on location family session and wait until later to place an order. After her session she purchased her desired framed prints and the digital printing rights utilizing an extended payment plan.
- Wedding Package Examples:
- Client C Chose to package an Engagement session, the printing rights to all the files, an album, and a full day of wedding coverage and paid via payment plan.
- Meanwhile client D decided to book a 3 hour wedding with an album and the digital download and paid in full right away.
Do I need to put down a deposit?
- Yes. With a session, the session fee is needed as a RETAINER, and with a wedding, it's a flat rate of $600 no matter which package you go with. This and a signed contract/agreement secures your date.
How far in advance can I book?
- We book weddings up to 2 years in advance, and sessions and parties or smaller events up to 3 months in advance.
How long will it take to receive the images?
- A wedding/birth could take up to 6 weeks, usually sooner, and a session could take up to 2 weeks, although sessions typically don't take longer than a week. Please keep in mind that this is the time frame to get in to see your images in person at your viewing and ordering appointment, and that prints and other products will take longer depending on the order and shipping. The shipping time is about 7-10 business days although specialty items may require additional time.
Is there a second shooter and if so, who will that be?
- I always bring an assistant with me to full styled sessions and weddings, but we can definitely upgrade to having a second shooter with at your wedding! So yes, in most cases I will not be alone. Obviously there are unforeseen circumstances that will warrant us to hire out a different second shooter or assistant for your wedding, but rest assured, they will match our style and brand so that you will get exactly what you are coming to us for.
What equipment do you use?
- I shoot Nikon, I primarily use a D750 while using a D610 as my backup and have various focal lengths to work in any given situation. We shoot as wide as 24mm and as long as 200mm. We are also equipped with 4 flashes, modifiers, etc. And yes, I have a back up should something fail! We even have dual card slots for even more peace of mind.
Are all the images edited?
- Yup! As awesome as digital photography can be, it is harder when you're dealing with colors. We do enhance each image we show you to reflect a more natural, timeless color tone, and we will do minor retouching on any portraits or other photos that we see necessary at no addition charge.
What about black and whites?
- Our goal is to show you everything in color and provide certain images with a black and white version. Sometimes, we see a situation that warrants the photo to be black and white and we will shoot for that, so you may not see it in color (it's rare, but it does happen). Moments always win over technicality, so if something happened so fast we couldn't control our camera settings in time, you may see it in only black and white.
Do you have insurance?
- Yup! And we can provide you with documentation if the venue requires it.
Can I see, choose from, or purchase the RAW (unedited) files?
- In most cases, we do not release the RAW files. With the purchase of the digital images, they are all high resolution, enhanced jpegs ready to print, and include a print release and lab recommendations to ensure you get the best quality possible when printing on your own. The copyright still remains with Nicole Hollenkamp Photography, which means you cannot use them for profit, submit them for publication, or claim you took them, for example. There is also to be no further editing without a release from us.
Do you take shot lists?
- Yes and no, and this could get lengthy to help you understand. For a wedding, we require a list for family formals. In general, if you have a prop you want to incorporate, or that one shot that's a must have, let us know. Our job and our style, is to photograph the relationships between two people or family members, both candid and posed. For family sessions, it's routine to get mom with the kids, dad with the kids, mom and dad, just the kids, etc. When you get too specific; "Johnny hugging mom's leg and dad holding Sally while we stand by the lake" or "hubby and I standing in the rain under an umbrella with the building in the background", we will not take this into consideration. We work with what is given to us. It may not rain on your wedding day to get that photo or Johnny may not cooperate enough to hug your leg! Personalities, capability, ages, lighting, and more, are taken into consideration when deciding what will work best in the time we have allotted. Rest assured, we will make the best, professional decision to determine the best poses, lighting and backgrounds for each unique situation.
What about Pinterest?
- Ok, so I get it. When it comes to Pinterest, we look at your Pinterest boards as INSPIRATION, so yes, feel free to share with us! BUT, we cannot promise any specific image to be duplicated or replicated. You have to realize that you are coming to us because you like what we do...for our creative and artistic abilities...and we work with whatever circumstances we are in, which can and do differ greatly from one to the next. Most Pinterest boards are a compilation of one awesome image from multiple weddings or sessions, so it's nearly impossible to replicate each one pin for one client and still keep the experience/story/photos authentic. Authenticity is something we really strive for..the real stuff...and who knows, it can lead to the next big "pin" on Pinterest!
I really like your natural light style, but what if it rains or I have a nighttime wedding?
- Portrait sessions will be rescheduled if we feel we cannot shoot due to the weather. When it comes to weddings which can't be rescheduled or "redone", we are equipped and pride ourselves in being able to work in any given situation. We do prefer the natural light look, however as professionals, we will use whatever tool necessary to accomplish the task at hand (such as flash). Also, please consider why you are coming to us. There are ways to make it look sunny on a rainy wedding day, but keep in mind that if you are having a nighttime wedding and do not want to do a first look before sunset, you will not have any photos that reflect the style we showcase on our website, therefor we may not be the photographer for you. We will also be happy to show you a full gallery so you can see what could happen in this situation.